Welcome! I am a self-taught pique assiette ("broken from plate")
mosaic artist who has been creating whimsical and elegant pieces since 1998. This is a wonderful way to combine my love of color, vintage pottery, china and jewelry into one alchemical medium. Each one-of-a-kind piece reveals itself to me moment by moment. I'm not always sure where the piece will go when I begin, but the piece knows!

I especially love custom work and I welcome wholesale opportunities.

You can visit my rarely-updated-but-very-cool personal web site here, and my not-updated-since-forever portfolio over on EBSQ here. Both sites contain many of my past creations, sold and commissioned, that will inspire you to lofty and dizzying heights should you wish to commission your own piece. You can also go to my etsy store to BUY STUFF NOW! Please.

email me: lauraw217@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Carole's Family Jewels - A Very Special Commission!


Y'all just won't understand how exciting this sort of project is for me, so I'm going to yammer on a while in an effort to explain it to you.

Carole found me at a 4th of July show in 2008 and bought a jewelry mosaic mirror. I recently sent out out a pitiful "HELP! I need money!!" email to all past clients and Carole responded, asking for an 8x10 mirror for herself, using her mother's jewelry.

When I got the UPS shipment, she'd also enclosed an order for an additional piece - a 5x7 frame for the amazing black and white photo of her mother on her wedding day. Mom, Janet, is surrounded by Carole's maternal grandmother, Frances, and paternal grandmother, Frances, and her best friend.

As is my custom, I asked Carole for some anecdotes and background history on the women in her family for inspiration, and she provided such helpful details. This helps me know what sorts of special jewelry pieces from my own stash I can use to bring forth certain themes.

No way on earth was I expecting to receive so much amazing material, in both quality and quantity!

As I kept unwrapping all the different pouches, I just kept gasping. I don't even wear jewelry much at all, but something about playing with all of this colorful, shiny, sparkly, pearly, gold, silver stuff brings out a very whimsical and feminine part of me.

One of the sweetest things in the collection was a small envelope with "Bill's Wedding Ring" written in blue ink on the front. It was stapled shut. Bill is Carole's 84-year-old dad, who lives with her now. What an honor to be trusted with things that are so personally meaningful and to be given full artistic license to use them as I feel led.



I've completed the 5x7 frame for the wedding day photo and I love it. Carole decided that her mirror would not be complete without some palm tree charms, so I eagerly await their arrival so that I can go to town on the 8x10 mirror.

1 comment:

  1. Laura. This stash is the ultimate compliment, as you know. What treasure, on so many levels. I envy you AND your patron. I trust you'll share photos of the frame and mirror....can't wait. I know you'll create something wonderful. The black and white photo is a gem. Such a composition. So animated. So clear. So BIG DAY happy.

    Best wishes,

    j

    ReplyDelete