Welcome! I am a self-taught pique assiette ("broken from plate")
mosaic artist who has been creating whimsical and elegant pieces since 1998. This is a wonderful way to combine my love of color, vintage pottery, china and jewelry into one alchemical medium. Each one-of-a-kind piece reveals itself to me moment by moment. I'm not always sure where the piece will go when I begin, but the piece knows!

I especially love custom work and I welcome wholesale opportunities.

You can visit my rarely-updated-but-very-cool personal web site here, and my not-updated-since-forever portfolio over on EBSQ here. Both sites contain many of my past creations, sold and commissioned, that will inspire you to lofty and dizzying heights should you wish to commission your own piece. You can also go to my etsy store to BUY STUFF NOW! Please.

email me: lauraw217@gmail.com

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Z's Garden Room Installation - Biggest Project Evah!

Well, I'm about to embark upon something I've wanted to do for years; create a pique assiette mosaic wall of sorts. Eventually I'd love to do a kitchen backsplash in my own home (which, um, I don't own yet), or maybe a restroom wall in a funky restaurant, but we'll see how I feel after I complete the Garden Room project.

Homeowner Suzan Z. shares her vision for the potting table structure with the general contractor. The lake overlook home in the Western North Carolina mountains will finally be complete at April's end, with the move-in date scheduled for the 29th. Been a long time comin'!

The Garden Room will be left open which is to say this entry way will not have a door. Likewise the window to the right. Around the corner from the stone column on the left is a huge family room with pool table, entertainment unit.

Fortunately, I will be able to create the installation at home doing it in pieces that can then be attached to the walls, table legs, shelves, etc. This is far preferable to doing it on-site, not only because the pottery pieces and chotzkies would be sliding down the vertical surface as soon as I applied them, but MY BODY WOULD DIE from all the standing, reaching, bending and kneeling. The Z's dog grotto project was a very Valuable Learning Experience in this very way.
Suzan drew out a rough version of what the potting table will look like. Approximately 8 feet across. I'll be covering the vertical back area, the faces of the shelves, and the legs. Probably more to be determined.

Here is the site as it looked a few weeks ago:



Let the eBay surfing for materials commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment