Welcome! I am a self-taught pique assiette ("broken from plate")
mosaic artist who has been creating whimsical and elegant pieces since 1998. This is a wonderful way to combine my love of color, vintage pottery, china and jewelry into one alchemical medium. Each one-of-a-kind piece reveals itself to me moment by moment. I'm not always sure where the piece will go when I begin, but the piece knows!

I especially love custom work and I welcome wholesale opportunities.

You can visit my rarely-updated-but-very-cool personal web site here, and my not-updated-since-forever portfolio over on EBSQ here. Both sites contain many of my past creations, sold and commissioned, that will inspire you to lofty and dizzying heights should you wish to commission your own piece. You can also go to my etsy store to BUY STUFF NOW! Please.

email me: lauraw217@gmail.com

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Bea My Beautiful Baby!

Concurrent with working on Carole's two super-special customized pieces (see post below), I had the honor of creating this frame for the darling baby you see enjoying bath time with much glee.

A lovely woman found me online and requested this as a birthday gift for her 43-year-old son who is a first-time dad and totally "beasotted" with his little Bea. Her room is full of bee themes, and her favorite song is, of course, "Be My Baby".

Bea's Grama asked only that I use the words: "Bea My Baby" on the 5x7 frame, and that I orient it horizontally.

I got a few perfect bee broaches from eBay for the piece.
HOW DID WE SURVIVE WITHOUT EBAY?

I didn't have enough "travel size" Scrabble tiles to do the whole lettering in a uniform way but I think it looks sorta cool with a few larger, "regulation size" tiles mixed in.

I usually use these awesome metallic and highly-saturated, brightly-colored Spectra Glass beads as space fillers but I could not resist leaving them in strand form for the lining of the inside of this frame. What else could I have possibly used? I had no choice.


Bea's Grama received the frame about two hours ago, so I've been freed to post about it. I never show clients photos of the completed pieces in advance because I'm all about The Big Reveal In Person Ritual. Plus, I've been told a zillion times that my photos don't do my work justice, which is a good thing. I guess?

Thank you, Bea's Grama! This was more fun and special than you'll ever know. Send me a photo of Bea's Daddy unwrapping it!

BONUS BEA:


2 comments:

  1. It bea beautiful for sure. What an heirloom. Bea in her bonnet is a good thing in this photo....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for making this for me. It's a great gift and I'm very pleased to own it. You do great work.

    http://www.zootdaze.com/beamybaby44.JPG

    Bea's daddy

    ReplyDelete