Welcome! I am a self-taught pique assiette ("broken from plate")
mosaic artist who has been creating whimsical and elegant pieces since 1998. This is a wonderful way to combine my love of color, vintage pottery, china and jewelry into one alchemical medium. Each one-of-a-kind piece reveals itself to me moment by moment. I'm not always sure where the piece will go when I begin, but the piece knows!

I especially love custom work and I welcome wholesale opportunities.

You can visit my rarely-updated-but-very-cool personal web site here, and my not-updated-since-forever portfolio over on EBSQ here. Both sites contain many of my past creations, sold and commissioned, that will inspire you to lofty and dizzying heights should you wish to commission your own piece. You can also go to my etsy store to BUY STUFF NOW! Please.

email me: lauraw217@gmail.com

Monday, March 15, 2010

In Future Years, What Will Surely Be Referred To As My "Trout Period"

Quick! Name that frame!

Clearly a (very abstract) Rainbow Trout!

Framing a very realistic, carved, "found wood" Brown Trout by Jon R. Dennis.

There is a lot more color variation in this species than I would've guessed, but being the color freak that I am, I opted for the more saturated pottery and china patterns.

I was commissioned to make a line of trout frames for Brookings' Cashiers Village Outfitters to display biographies of several regional artisans whose works Brookings' is now selling.
I was asked to write the bios as well, so life doesn't get much better than when I am able to combine my love of writing with mosaic work!


For this more sedate piece, I donated my long-dead, paternal Grandmother's beloved Sasha Brastoff Surf Ballet pattern for the interior edge hoping to approximate the light blue, shimmering, silver belly of the trout. A cool, and very personally meaningful, china choice.

I also used some of my favorite contemporary Fiesta patterns because the deep color saturation and contrast is so attractive and eye-catching.

The frames are on sale at Brookings' at the Crossroads in Cashiers Village, North Carolina.
Watch this space for the upcoming Brook and Brown Trout frames!

No comments:

Post a Comment