Welcome! I am a self-taught pique assiette ("broken from plate")
mosaic artist who has been creating whimsical and elegant pieces since 1998. This is a wonderful way to combine my love of color, vintage pottery, china and jewelry into one alchemical medium. Each one-of-a-kind piece reveals itself to me moment by moment. I'm not always sure where the piece will go when I begin, but the piece knows!

I especially love custom work and I welcome wholesale opportunities.

You can visit my rarely-updated-but-very-cool personal web site here, and my not-updated-since-forever portfolio over on EBSQ here. Both sites contain many of my past creations, sold and commissioned, that will inspire you to lofty and dizzying heights should you wish to commission your own piece. You can also go to my etsy store to BUY STUFF NOW! Please.

email me: lauraw217@gmail.com

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Alexa & Demet, Almost Newlyweds!

Here is my latest commissioned piece, my most favorite of all types of work! A lovely woman who shall go by "Cat Lady" found me online and requested that we create a frame for the impending marriage of her daughter, Alexa, and Demet. Cat Lady sent me a baggie full of special items to include and was very helpful with ideas for other touches, like birthstones of pearl and peridot for the couple.

This battered and rusty lady-in-sunhat brooch was found by Alexa and Demet on the side of a road on a trip to Mexico.

The brass swan is jokingly referred to as "the most beautiful thing in the world" since that is how Alexa viewed it as a very tiny girl.



The Siamese kitty was the first of many animal figurines that Alexa collected in childhood. Both are teachers of young children, so I found some great items to represent their shared vocation.

Demet teaches art so the palette charms were a score!

More of Alexa's darling kitties.

Canines represent!

The Canadian dime is significant because a close relative was the owner and skipper of the boat.

Demet is a musician so lots of fun things were found for him.



The wedding will take place in early April and I eagerly await a photo of the radiant couple. Many, many thanks for trusting me with such a special project, Cat Lady!

1 comment: