Welcome! I am a self-taught pique assiette ("broken from plate")
mosaic artist who has been creating whimsical and elegant pieces since 1998. This is a wonderful way to combine my love of color, vintage pottery, china and jewelry into one alchemical medium. Each one-of-a-kind piece reveals itself to me moment by moment. I'm not always sure where the piece will go when I begin, but the piece knows!

I especially love custom work and I welcome wholesale opportunities.

You can visit my rarely-updated-but-very-cool personal web site here, and my not-updated-since-forever portfolio over on EBSQ here. Both sites contain many of my past creations, sold and commissioned, that will inspire you to lofty and dizzying heights should you wish to commission your own piece. You can also go to my etsy store to BUY STUFF NOW! Please.

email me: lauraw217@gmail.com

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hold Me Closer, Tiny Dancer

Proud Grama Field B. came to the Hillside Shops in early July with her daughter Kelly B. Field loved my pique assiette work, and was especially fond of the mirror below (available for sale in my etsy store!) Her son had just sent her a professionally shot 8x10 photo of granddaughter, Eleanor, at her first ballet recital and Field wanted to commission a frame for it. An hour later, she was back with hubby John and the photo. (I shot a photo of the photo for inspiration, of course!)

Field loved the porcelain rose on my heart mirror and as serendipity would have it, I had one left that I'd been saving for years. I got a sense of the color scheme in their mountain home and Field gave me ideas on which patterns she favored that I'd used on other pieces.

As always, the lazy art interns were ever-present in the studio. Creative Director Annie likes to think "inside the box" when we work. Leah mostly pants.


I was happy with the frame and while Field and John are out of town for a couple of weeks, daughter Kelly picked it up for them last weekend and assured me that it matches their decor perfectly and that Field would love it. Couldn't resist the ballet slipper broach from eBay!

Or the ballerina one.

These gorgeous white flowers are two of close to 50 that I scored when a friend's lamp fell over and shattered. I got the entire lamp base, which is nothing but wall-to-wall white flower clusters!

After a creatively rewarding day in the studio the lazy interns retreated to the office, exhausted.

Thank you for this most wonderful custom opportunity, Field! I'd love to post a photo of the original photo in the frame on its easel in your home.

1 comment:

  1. Well. Just too perfect. Makes me wanna get up on pointe and do a pleeay or sumpin. Utterly lovely.

    Re: lazy interns.....when you're that adorable, you can get away with being ornamental.

    ReplyDelete