Welcome! I am a self-taught pique assiette ("broken from plate")
mosaic artist who has been creating whimsical and elegant pieces since 1998. This is a wonderful way to combine my love of color, vintage pottery, china and jewelry into one alchemical medium. Each one-of-a-kind piece reveals itself to me moment by moment. I'm not always sure where the piece will go when I begin, but the piece knows!

I especially love custom work and I welcome wholesale opportunities.

You can visit my rarely-updated-but-very-cool personal web site here, and my not-updated-since-forever portfolio over on EBSQ here. Both sites contain many of my past creations, sold and commissioned, that will inspire you to lofty and dizzying heights should you wish to commission your own piece. You can also go to my etsy store to BUY STUFF NOW! Please.

email me: lauraw217@gmail.com

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Custom Pansy Pot Sans Sunflowers

Over the 4th of July weekend a woman visited the Cashiers Village Hillside Shops and spotted my 10" Pansies and Sunflowers flower pot. (See previous post.) It seems it was the PERFECT gift for a good friend of hers, but a bit too large. Because I had another hand painted pansies in a pot plate identical to the one I used on the large pot, as well as another cluster of purple pansies plate, it was easy to make her a custom piece in an 8" size.

She had also requested that I hold the purple and incorporate black and white if possible to match her friend's kitchen colors. Fortunately, one of my very favorite Meakin Sterling patterns comes in black and white.

I used a light green contemporary Fiesta solid and matched the inside paint pretty closely.

Here is the 10" for comparison:



Annie lost interest in the piece when her backyard deer supervision duties were needed.


Catching some sun at the Hillside Shops.

Thank you, Marilyn!
(Marilyn owns The Cabins at Seven Foxes in Lake Toxaway, NC. Interestingly enough, she recognized me from an outdoor craft show in Cashiers two years ago. I donated a mosaic dog bone to her Atlanta rescue group, New Leash on Life, at the end of that show. Marilyn continues to be very generous with her time in support of animal rescue groups having just hosted a fundraiser at her Toxaway property for two of Transylvania County's best no-kill groups!)

No comments:

Post a Comment